A Call for IDEAs*
Deadline: Monday, September 30th
A Call for IDEAs*
*Innovative Discovery and Exploration Application
IDEAs are being solicited for 2 Year Research Projects to conduct basic, clinical, translational, prevention, control, behavioral, or population research on the cause, prevention, detection or treatment of Cancer and/or Cancer Health Disparities. Investigators are encouraged to develop proposals in emerging technologies, such as nanotechnology, proteomics, genomics, and imaging. (NIH RFA-CA-11-001)
The IDEA must address the overall goals of the Meharry Medical College/ Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center Partnership (MVCP) in collaboration with Tennessee State University: (1) to build and stabilize collaborative and independent cancer research and other related activities at Meharry Medical College (MMC) and (2) to create stable, long-term collaborative and independent cancer research and related activities focused on the disproportionate incidence, mortality and morbidity in minority populations in areas accessible to the Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center (VICC).
- Research project funding is restricted to faculty at MMC, TSU and Vanderbilt University.
- Faculty at all institutions is encouraged to apply including current and previously funded U54 investigators and U54 recruited faculty members.
- Joint research projects conducted primarily at MMC or TSU may be in any area of cancer research.
- Joint research projects conducted primarily at VICC must specifically address areas of cancer disparity in racial and ethnic minority and socio-economically disadvantaged populations.
- This is a two step process. Meritorious IDEA proposals will be asked to submit an expanded research project application.
- Maximum funding of pilot projects will be $75K total per year for two years for each project. Full research projects, which will have a more rigorous review, will receive a maximum of $125K total per year for two years.
- All efforts must be aimed at eventually securing competitively funded extramural awards (e.g., NIH R03, R21, and R01 awards, Projects on P01 or P50 awards or their equivalents.
The IDEA eLOI form can be found at:
- There must be a minimum of two investigators on the project representing two of the three institutions.
- Project summary: Brief description, as appropriate for the nature of the project, background, objective and experimental methods/study design.
- Relevance of project to MVCP goals listed above
- Description of Collaborative Relationship: explain the history of collaborative relationship, mentorship experience of project leaders
- The deadline for receipt of eLOIs is September 30, 2013.
- Investigators will be informed of their first-step application status on October 7, 2013.